NH HealthCost Offers Resources Aimed at Granite State Businesses
The New Hampshire Insurance Department’s nationally-recognized transparency website, NHHealthCost.org, also includes interactive content to help Granite State employers purchase health insurance for their employees.
For those unfamiliar with NH HealthCost, it is a free resource that was developed by the Department and uses anonymous paid claims data collected from New Hampshire’s health insurers to show insured and uninsured patients’ estimated costs on more than 100 medical services and over a dozen dental procedures. It also includes a “Guide to Health Insurance” to help answer common health insurance questions.
Here are some examples of the cost and quality variation found on NH HealthCost:
- Average costs range for common lab tests can range from $11 to $123, depending on the lab you choose.
- Some dentists charge 3 times more than others for a simple cleaning.
- Patient satisfaction scores for the state’s hospitals range from 88 percent of patients being highly satisfied to 62 percent of patients being highly satisfied.
On NH HealthCost, you will find that prices vary, and studies have found that higher costs generally don’t mean better care. The website allows you to compare cost estimates and hospital quality side-by-side, making it easier to choose high value care options.
The Employer Resources section, which was added in November 2017, helps businesses evaluate health insurance companies, stay informed about trends in provider payments, and educate their employees about health care and insurance.
The site’s Employer Resources section features:
- “Customizable Employee Toolkit” contains information NH businesses can share with employees: e.g., definitions of key terms and other educational resources.
- “Small Group Comparison Tool” allows employers to compare all aspects of health insurance plans.
- “Funding Mechanisms Manual” explains the differences between fully-insured and self-funded plans, and allows employers to see how their current health plan compares to others in the state.
- “Provider Payment Reform and Value Based Payment Guide” explains what insurance companies are doing in New Hampshire to bring down the cost of care.
- Employers can research insurance companies and their plans to see if they meet their company’s needs.
- Carrier Quality and Customer Service ratings
- Group Products and Hospital Networks
- Profitability and Solvency
We hope that you will consider sharing NH HealthCost with your employees and others. If you are interested in informational materials or have any questions, please contact me at email@example.com or at 603-271-3781.
The New Hampshire Insurance Department’s mission is to promote and protect the public good by ensuring the existence of a safe and competitive insurance marketplace through the development and enforcement of the insurance laws of the State of New Hampshire. For more information visit www.nh.gov/insurance.