Looking Back and Ahead: Successes of 2017 Create New Opportunities in 2018
As a New Year gets underway, it is important to reflect on the past year and take stock of the successes, challenges, and opportunities that lie ahead. I’m pleased to say that 2017 was a year of great successes and progress on our strategic plan that is paving the way for exciting opportunities in 2018.
A huge thanks to you, our members, for your continued support and investment in the Chamber and belief in our mission. Without the continued support and engagement of so many business and community leaders, our work to enhance and drive the business climate and economic vitality of the region would simply not be possible.
A few of the Chamber’s most notable accomplishments this year include:
- Merged the Manchester Young Professionals Network into the Chamber to form a new partnership that will help us to better address workforce development challenges and enhance our work to support, attract, and retain young professionals in Manchester.
- Held our second annual Educator Leadership Summit, a formal professional development day for 330+ Manchester School District middle school teachers, with innovative workforce development panelists and tours of 20 Chamber businesses.
- Supported New Hampshire’s bid for Amazon’s HQ2 alongside legislators, key businesses, and Governor Sununu.
- Advocated for/against 100+ pieces of legislation through the Chamber’s Government Affairs Committee, including successful advocacy for full day kindergarten expansion.
- Welcomed national journalists to the city and developed itineraries for their visits, earning Manchester media recognition from The Wall Street Journal, Politico Magazine, The Boston Globe, and The New York Times.
- Offered more than 100 high quality events and programs that led to more than 7000 total member engagements across all Chamber events in 2017. Total engagement at Chamber events increased 18% from 2016 and is up 39% since 2015.
These notable accomplishments just scratching the surface of all the great work that occurred at the Chamber in 2017. Our leadership development program, Leadership Greater Manchester, continues to thrive and attract highly competitive and deeply talented applicant pools. Our membership committee continued to grow and develop new strategies which contributed to increases in key metrics like membership retention. Countless new connections were made between members at Chamber events and programs inevitably leading to new business deals, client relationships, hiring, and collaborations. Truly, one of my favorite things is to hear from members how a simple connection made at the Chamber blossomed into a major new business deal or strategic partnership!
With a successful 2017 behind us, our attention now shifts to new exciting opportunities ahead. On behalf of the entire GMCC team, thank you for your continued support and stay tuned for another our plans to make 2018 another great year!